Not all courses are offered every term.
Enroll in a currently offered course
7. Astrological Heritage
7.2. E301A Astrological History-Modern (5 weeks)
Instructor: Inga Thornell
Elective in the Diploma program and will also count toward a certificate in Astrological Heritage OR Multi-Cultural Traditions.
Prerequisites: E300 or equivalent recommended, but not required
This course covers the Enlightenment to the Modern period. Astrology developed within cultures, not independently of time and place. Understanding the geography, historical periods and concurrent cultural beliefs helps us to understand the differentiation between natural and judicial astrology, including the astrology practices and techniques that developed in response.
Students will learn:
- Significant international history and major astrological discoveries from the 17th through 21st centuries
- Development of critical thinking in choosing sources and creating citations
- Topics such as the Philosophy of Science, Comparative Religion, Theosophy, New Age, and Postmodernism.
- Understanding how astrology continued to fit into the cultural milieu of each historical period subsequent to the 17th century.
- Appreciation for the complexities that have influenced and added to astrological lore and techniques over time.
- Awareness of how many modern applications are really quite old.